Re: Overdrive not engaging, solenoid?

To: Justin Laborde <spartan0199@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Overdrive not engaging, solenoid?
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:21:51 -0600
Hi Justin,

The OD solenoid has two coils, a pull in coil which draws about 15 amps,
& a holding coil which draws about two amps. Both coils are energized
until the plunger reaches it's full operated travel. At this time, a
contact on top of the solenoid (under the rubber cap) opens to remove
power from the pull in coil.

 From your description, the pull in coil is not operating, but the
holding coil is operating once you give it a bit of help.

Either the pull in coil is defective, or it's cutoff contact is not
making the circuit when the solenoid is de-energized. Cleaning the
contact might cure the problem.

As to the last part of your description, the solenoid plunger can only
work through a limited range of travel. With it installed, the plunger
drop is mechanically limited to a range where it can work. With the
solenoid removed the plunger may be extended too far for it to work.

With the rubber cover removed, measure the resistance of the holding
coil, about 6 ohms. The pull in coil should measure around 0.8 ohms.
The contact, when closed, should measure zero ohms.

Dave Russell
Bn2