Fuel pump

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pump
From: "Peter Svilans" <peter.svilans@rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:48:56 -0400
>From the sound of the postings, it seems the best way to deal with SU pumps is
to remount them inside the car so you can constantly whack them with a hammer
as you drive.

Pumps were first bolted to the heelboard directly above the exhaust pipes,
then on a bracket to slightly tilt them out of the way of the shimmering heat
waves, and finally at BT 7 no.17352 the light bulb came on and the pump was
moved to the other side of the car.  So your (hi Bill) Phase One shouldn't
have heat problems.  There was, however,  a clip-on metal heat shield
available for the SU that essentially put an insulating layer of air between
the heat source and the pump body.

Installing a heat shield on a pump that needs whacking to make it work won't
fix anything.  Only a proper rebuild by a knowlegeable  mechanic will do the
trick. The setup of the diaphragm (which can get torn, by the way)  to make
the over-center mechanism do that delicate click-over just right, requires
some sensitivity.   Not all rebuilders have this, and a great many rebuilds
don't work properly. So given the choice of a rebuild by a "sure I'll take
your money" mechanic, and a new pump (Facet or otherwise), I'd go for the new
pump.

My previous posting on the SU Pump was slightly tongue-in-cheek  (my spare
pump has always been a German Harting).   Of course I'm aware that many will
sensibly opt for a modern component that bears directly on the reliability and
driveability of the car.  I have no desire to be the Concours Police and tell
people what to do with their cars  ( as a judge at a Conclave a number of
years ago, a wealthy disgruntled concours entrant once cornered me in the
elevator afterwards and really let me have it-  that put an end to that ) .
Its just that I have my feet too firmly planted in the past, surrounded by
nostalgia- old vehicles, books about old stuff, and can't seem to yet manage
that transition to the present.

Best regards
Peter