Friday funnies-History of the Middle Finger

To: REGANBJ8@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Friday funnies-History of the Middle Finger
From: MBran89793@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 08:32:12 EDT
History of Middle  Finger

Well, now......here's  something I never knew before, and now that I know it,
I feel compelled to send  it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope
that they, too, will feel  edified.  Isn't history more fun when you know
something about  it?
_
/'_-/)
,/_  /
/    /
/'_'/'   '/'__'/','/'
/'/    /    /    /   /_\
( (    '    '     _   >  \
\                        |
\                      / '
\                   /

Giving the finger  before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French,
anticipating victory over  the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger
of all
captured English  soldiers.  Without the middle finger it would be impossible
to draw the  renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable
of fighting in  the future. This famous weapon was made of the native English
Yew tree, and the  act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew"
(or "pluck yew").  Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a
major upset and began  mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the
defeated French,  saying, See, we can still pluck yew! "PLUCK YEW!" Since
'pluck yew' is rather  difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the
beginning has gradually  hanged to a labiodental fricative 'F', and thus the
words often used in  conjunction with the one-finger-salute!  It is also
because
of the pheasant  feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the
symbolic gesture is known  as "giving the bird."
IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE