Re: Healey tow bar revisited

To: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Healey tow bar revisited
From: jerry adams <cjerryadams@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:59:33 -0700 (PDT)
John,

Wow.  I had to sit and reflect a while before I decided to answer.  "Reverse
action".  I purchased a collapsible tow bar in the early '70s to move my BN2
from Texas to Ohio, 1100 miles,  worked great.  Year later moved back to Texas.
 Two years later moved 400 miles to South Texas.  Five years later moved 775
miles to Kansas.  Etc.,Etc.  In all my moves I have towed at least one if not
more Healeys or other cars with the tow bar.  So I have used my tow bar a lot.
Now "reverse action".  The front suspension of any car is set up with caster,
camber and tow in.  This makes the car track straight while rolling freely.
The steering always reacts with "reverse action" when the car is rolling, in
most circles it is called "feed back".  This "reverse action" is what causes
the driver to feel the road, bumps, pot holes, road crown, curves, turns, and
what ever else there is one may encounter while driving.  In all cases I was
involved in the towed car tracked perfectly behind the tow vehicle.  At no time
did I have a problem with the steering wheel or tires wanting to lock to one
side.  I don't think that a cars steering box condition will make a difference
when towing with a tow bar.  Bottom line I have great success with towing my
Healey.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Regards,
Jerry