Re: Healey tow bar revisited

To: mlempert@bellsouth.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Healey tow bar revisited
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:34:56 EDT
In a message dated 9/28/2005 1:38:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mlempert@bellsouth.net writes:
I've loaded some pictures to my site.  Does this look useful and safe ?
http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/towbar
Mike--

I have a collapsible tow bar that I have used on a few occasions for tows of
200 miles or so at highway speeds, attached via Bill Bolton tow eyes.  I have
had no problems and the car follows perfectly, the steering wheel turning
slightly to follow as needed, then straightening, etc.  I am careful to always
have some headway on before starting a turn as otherwise the front tires will
scrub briefly.

I know the four attached pictures will be stripped from the list but perhaps
you'll want to put them up on your site so that others can see the concept.
The folding arm of the towbar allows me to insert the two pins welded onto the
ends of the bar into the toweyes and I fasten them with removable snap-pins.
The removeable crossbar fastens in a similar manner once the bar is in place
and keeps everything together just in case.  I use a length of nylon braid
around the front anti-roll bar for safety's sake.

Collapsible tow bars are readily obtainable--just google.  There are lots of
ways that one can be attached to a Healey but since I already had the tow eyes
in place I went the way shown.

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans

IMG_0001 (Small).JPG]

IMG_0002 (Small).JPG]