RE: Anti squeak shims.

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Anti squeak shims.
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:08:20 -0700
Hi, James -

I don't know about Donald coming up with the idea.  Similar shims are on my
'73 Midget, my '96 Miata, and were on my wife's '92 Dodge Spirit so it isn't
just Healey brakes that can squeal.  While I can't cite the specific
physics, I believe the shims work by separating the surfaces of the brake
piston and the pad backing plate to prevent them from vibrating against each
other.  The vibration of the pad is excited by the turning rotor, which is
transmitted into the piston.  The shims probably modify the relative
frequencies of vibration to prevent them from reinforcing each other.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA