Re: ethanol

To: glemon@neb.rr.com, ruvino@ripnet.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ethanol
From: "WILLIAM B LAWRENCE" <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 05:10:16 +0000
I think nearly all of the fuel in this area is mixed with ethanol. The only
effect I've noticed was when I was using the wrong float bowl seals in my
100. I was using the seals that are more commonly used in MGAs which are a
pair of rubber rings. I had a bunch of these things just swell up and fall
apart. There is a ring portion that fits into the aperture between the banjo
bolt and the bowl that would break off and plug the jet passage, usually
when I was running on the interstate. I don't know if it was the alcohol
that caused the problem, the proximity to the exhaust manifold which may
have caused them to be affected by heat or a combination of both, but when I
finally gave up and installed the right combination of steel and fiber seals
the problem disappeared. I've had no other problems that I suspected might
be caused by the fuel mix.

Bill Lawrence
Albuquerque, NM