Engine Oil Pump Replacement Questions.

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Oil Pump Replacement Questions.
From: GLWilkieAlaska@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:09:25 EDT
Hello Listers,

I am about to replace the old engine Oil Pump in my Healey. My car is a BJ8,
with the 29K series engine. The new pump I have purchased is a Denis Welch,
Gear-Type pump, Part Number ENG 672.

I thought I better seek the counsel of wiser men before embarking further
into somewhat unknown territory. The sump-pan has been removed, as has the
pump's
mesh filter. Now it's just me versus the Oil Pump, and I think I might be
starting to lose my nerve...

The Parts Manual shows two gaskets at the two mounting points of the pump to
the engine block. Do I apply some type of Permatex gasket maker to the new
gaskets, or do I install them dry?

Also, should I lubricate the new gear pump with anything prior to fitting it,
and cranking the engine over? The Workshop Manual doesn't suggest doing so,
but maybe the author assumed the reader would be knowledgeable in such matters.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions with regard to the above
operation, or any "tricks" I should be aware of during the surgery.

Regards,

Graham Wilkie
HBJ8L / 32382