RE: An interesting question

To: "Alan Schultz" <alan@andysnet.net>, "Douglas W Flagg"
Subject: RE: An interesting question
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:05:24 +1100
G'day

It was indeed Isadora Duncan who was a very well known exotic dancer of
the immediate pre and post WW1 period.

She was an American by birth, born in California in 1878 and before and
after WW1 became well known throughout the world for her contemporary
dance style. She was also well known for her affairs with well-to-do men
of the time.

How she died may have been exaggerated over the years. However it is
known that Duncan loved flowing dresses and she nearly always wore a
long scarf as an accessory. She was in Monte Carlo in 1927 and met up
with a young man who took her for a drive in his Amilcar. During the
drive her scarf caught in the (spinner) knock-on and she was choked to
death.

For many years it was thought to be a Bugatti but this was not so. It
was also thought to be a Singer but her connection with that English
marque was nil, although she did have a well publicised liaison with Mr
Singer of sewing machine fame.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

1947 Healey Duncan Saloon (nicknamed Isadora)
1954 Austin-Healey 100 BN3/1 (nicknamed Henry and still feeling sorry
for itself after failing to proceed a week or so back.)

Douglas W Flagg wrote:

>Steve,
>
>Think of the thousands of lives that were saved from flying "eared"
>knock offs by legislation that was ahead of its time!! Does anyone know

>the "incident"
>that may
>have been the genesis of this well thought out law? Thanks.

I recall this topic came up a number of months ago and the answer
appeared to be an accident where a movie star (don't recall who) had her
scarf get caught in the ears and was killed. Maybe someone on the list
has more details than this.

Alan
67HBJ8/34297
(Eared in Wisconsin)