Re: An interesting question

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>, <STEV0001@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: An interesting question
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:23:36 -0500
Duncan often wore scarves which trailed behind her, and this caused her death
in a freak accident in Nice, France. She was killed at the age of 49 when her
scarf caught in the open-spoked wheel of her friend Ivan Falchetto's Bugatti
automobile, in which she was a passenger. As the driver sped off, the long
cloth wrapped around the vehicle's axle. Duncan was yanked violently from the
car and dragged for several yards before the driver realized what had
happened. She died almost instantly from a broken neck. The tragedy gave rise
to Gertrude Stein's mordant remark that "affectations can be dangerous."

Other reports say it was a rented car, with a chauffer, some say the scarf
wrapped around the rear wheel, some say the rear axle.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA