Re: AH 100 Rear Bumper

To: "Sid Shadle" <sshadle@gmail.com>, <CNAArndt@aol.com>
Subject: Re: AH 100 Rear Bumper
From: "John Rued" <rudedoggg@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:08:51 -0600
No movement at all.  Several obstacles noted:

1. Reticence to part with an original bumper to a dubious locale
(California/Mexican border).
2. Previous work by the party involved is not to expectations (per the Jaguar
club).
3. Unit price of the repros is (apparently) excessive. ($1200???)
4.  Donor is leery of liability issues (if the project doen't turn out to the
purchaser's satisfaction).

To get this project back on track, we'd need the following:

1.  Mutual trust and respect between Mr Cervera and whoever decides to lend
him a bumper for reference.  Perhaps Mr Cervera would consider an escrowed
account that matches the value of the donor bumper on the off chance that it
is lost.
2.  Some sort of validation that the repros closely meet the design
characteristics of the original.  The closer the proximity of the donor, the
better chance we have of matching a good quality bumper.  (The MG club is very
high on Mr Cervera's work.  The Jag guys are, well, typical Jag guys.  'Nough
said.)
3.  Significant commitment to the initial order.  Personally, I think $1200 is
a pretty good price for a well crafted, strong, chromed bumper.  Consider the
alternative cheapos from other sources--it is only twice as much.
4.  Realization from all who purchase that the bumper donor is in no way
responsible for the outcome of the project.

Personally, the propogation of the marque involves risk.  I see none of these
excuses as show stoppers.    Mr Cervera has graciously offered to help us out
on a known deficiency in the Healey community.  We are not stepping up.

 If I had an original bumper to lend Mr Cervera, I'd do it.  But, as my car is
nearing completion, I am pursuing other sources for a bumper.

If someone has other ideas about how to remanufacture 100-4 bumpers, I'd like
to know.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

John Rued