RE: gauges fogging up

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: gauges fogging up
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:34:24 -0800
Hi, Jim -

Fogging of the fuel gauge is a characteristic of Big Healeys.  I found this
out too late, and many years ago I took mine apart to "get the moisture out
of it".  In the process, I broke one of the tiny wires, necessitating a
professional rebuild.  After the rebuild, it still fogged up.  It has
something to do with the two small coils that make the gauge work, although
I've never figured out the physics of it.  Since only the fuel gauge has
these coils, it's the one that commonly fogs, and it happens after a few
miles of driving and clears itself up in 5 minutes or so.  I've never heard
of the tach fogging.   If it does, you may have some excess moisture
somewhere in your cockpit.

Happy Healey New Year!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666