Hydraulic Woes

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hydraulic Woes
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:14:04 -0500
I have just finished overhauling the brake and clutch master cylinders and
calipers and clutch slave. I find the following problems:

Clutch master cylinder

The valve on the outboard end of the plunger keeps coming off. After a few
strokes, it stops pumping. I took it out of the car again and opened it up
and there is the rubber valve at the bottom of the chamber. The brake master
has a similar configuration but I've had no problem with that.

Brake caliper

The reason the bleed screw on the right caliper keeps leaking is that the
hole is stripped. I suppose I could put a heli-coil in the hole. I have
never used one before. Is that feasible? I don't want to have to buy a new
caliper.

Your help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.98 W85.5