BJ8 Choke cables

To: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>,
Subject: BJ8 Choke cables
From: Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:17:12 -0800 (PST)
I replaced the original choke cables, including the
block on the firewall that holds them in place. The
new block has a hole for the cables to go through and
enough for the cable ends with the lead ends. Are the
lead cable ends supposed to be hammered into place so
that they don't move or should they be soldered/welded
in place?  If I don't secure them in place the choke
mechanism only works to set the choke by pulling but
it will not release the choke because when I push the
choke knob in the cable ends are not secured to the
block.
Thank you for your help.
Jorge Garcia