Re: Value insanity?

To: Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Value insanity?
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:37:01 -0700
Hi Guys,

Maybe second childhood?
In 1959 I bought a fairly new low mileage BN2 for $1,700. We really
enjoyed it for a few years. When a couple of children came along, the
Healey had to go in 1965. Sold it for $2,000 with V8 conversion which I
now regret putting into it.

In the intervening years I played with a Chrysler 300D, a Mercury
Cyclone GT, a Mustang, & several transportation cars. Always missed the
Healey though.

Delayed mid-life crisis?
Fast forward 37 years. Decided I had to have a BN2 again. After much
searching, found a very solid, no rust BN2 with well restored body,
paint, & chassis for $24,000. Kind of high, but the lack of rust was a
premium I was willing to pay for. Same color as the original car. Put
another $25,000 plus into finishing the body & interior details, drive
train, running gear, interior. Have more $ into it than I could possibly
get out, but the fun of working on it & driving my youthful dream is
priceless.

My "old age" makes the car noticeably less comfortable than I
"remembered in the early days" but I will hack it for a few more years.
10 hour days in blistering sun & wind or rain, is just no fun anymore.
Even stooped to putting a semi-permanent hardtop on it which increased
the comfort level tremendously. Wife likes it much better also. Doubt if
I'll ever remove the hardtop. Young hearts in old bodies & old cars.

My two sons-in-law & grandsons have absolutely no interest in the car,
grandaughter thinks it's cute but I don't trust her near it.
Fortunately, my insurance prohibits any driver with less than 10 years
driving experience. It's unknown what I'll do with it later on -
whenever that is. When that time comes, I would obviously like it to go
to someone who really appreciates it & will treat it carefully. Likely
won't have much choice though. Probably one of the kids will get it.

Dave Russell
BN2