Re: Value Insanity?

To: "William Moyer" <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>,
Subject: Re: Value Insanity?
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:47:53 -0500
Starting with the understanding that I already have the one and only Healey I
am ever likely to own, I don't share the concern over prices that some fellow
enthusiasts do, who like to move from one Healey to another, or collect
multiple examples.-Although, I do understand them.

Not planning to sell my tricarb, or to buy another Healey, nevertheless, I
find myself eagerly looking forward to each day's installment of the Barrett
Jackson report...  --And the report of the highly valued MK II tricarb the
opening day, left me with a grin on my face.

-Problem is, I guess I really don't understand WHY it made me smile so. -It
can't be anything practical, since I can't imagine ever actually collecting on
any theoretical increase in my car's value.  -After thinking about it, I've
come up with three possible reasons why I check the blog, and why the increase
in value makes me smile. --Though I'm still not sure which one(s) are the real
reason.

1.) Validation. -After having spent large amounts of time, sweat equity,
effort, and capital in the preservation, restoration, self education, of my
favorite marque for the last 20 years, -It is nice to know that the cars are
increasingly appreciated. -If not by an increasing number of fans, then at
least with greater intensity by a loyal following. In other words, I guess the
prices are proof that there are substantial numbers of others who value the
historical, visual and engineering aspects of the Healey as much as I (we)
do.

2.) The pride of ownership / desirability factor. OK, so maybe I'm a little
bit shallow, and enjoy knowing that I have a toy that is a bit exclusive
because of the level the cost of ownership has risen to. In this age of $300
blue jeans, $250 sneakers and all manner of conspicuous displays of
consumption, -who am I to not get a kick out of driving around in a 50 - 70K
exoticar (lol) that snaps a few heads around? --What the heck? -I restored it,
myself. Which is more than I can say for the Z4 guy at the light next to me.

3.) Maybe the most realistic benefit from the apparent rise in the car's value
may be that maybe I can stop worrying about the opinions of my heirs, after
I'm gone. (LOL).  Knowing that my relatives all know the amount of time and
money that I have lavished on this hobby, -I'm starting to think there's less
and less chance that after I'm gone, if they sell the car, -that anyone will
be prompted to say, "Man, that Dave, .....what a clown."  ---at least not in
connection with the car!

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA