Re: Value insanity?

To: richchrysler@quickclic.net, ynotink@msn.com, tomfelts@earthlink.net,
Subject: Re: Value insanity?
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:01:28 EST
In a message dated 1/21/2006 7:23:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
richchrysler@quickclic.net writes:
There are those out there who may have seen, heard, or read about the actual
cost and time involved in a good restoration, and rather than go that route,
can afford the instant gratification.  Some baby boomer with cash in his
hands can turn the key and drive away instead of taking 3 years and 70 to 90
grand
out of his life to achieve the same end result. And there's the added bonus
that all his peers can ooh and aah at his "victory".
I never acquired the skills to do a frame-up restoration or rebuild an
engine.  So when I went looking for a car in 1998 I tried to find as good a one
as
fit within my budget and the bounds of reason (read: reasonable relation to the
real market, particularly the National Club classifieds, as opposed to TV
auctions and boutique sites, etc).

A certain value must be attached to the ability to do as Rich says:  "To turn
the key and drive away"--following Rich's model I would have spent years
1999-2001 not being able to use the car and probably would have spent a lot
more
$$ in the process, as opposed to my having bought my 100 in pretty good shape
for $20K, enjoying putting on about 10K miles per year during those three and,
over one winter having had the engine professionally rebuilt for about $7K .

Of course, I've gotten to do lots of other work including replacing a cracked
head and installing a five-speed when the old three-speed came apart on a
western road trip, and in the process I've acquired a lot of mechanical
experience and spent still more bucks.

I never fault people who buy restored cars--without them the restorers would
be out of business.  And if I were buying another Healey I would probably
follow the standard advice of buying as good a car as I could afford, etc. and
lo
ok to acquire one that held the promise of being useable in the forseeable
future (maybe even that day!)

Somewhere between that model and the TV auctions lies reality.

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans