Re: Door stitching colour query Black interiors

To: Peter Svilans <peter.svilans@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: Door stitching colour query Black interiors
From: bn1@pacbell.net
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:51:36 -0800
Peter Svilans wrote:

>Right, John.  Black seats in red cars were not available from 1957 to 1962.
>
>The four cylinder BN2's did have black seats available on Reno Red single-tone
>(only) cars according to both Clausager and Piggot.   For what its worth,  my
>copy of a factory BN 2 color chip card (Jan'56) says only a "red" interior for
>a Reno Red car.
>
>BN 1 Carmine Red cars came with red interiors only.
>
>On four cylinder cars, black interiors came in Old English White, Spruce
>Green, and Florida Green cars.
>
>So, except for a short run of BN2 cars (maybe) , red Austin Healeys didn't
>come with black seats for the first nine years of production.
>
>Kind of surprising for all of us that went through the seventies where it
>seemed every single car on the planet came with a black interior.
>
>Best regards
>Peter

Not true.  I not only have the car but the BMIHT, as well, to prove
otherwise.

My carmine red car, manufactured 5 Nov. 1953, had a black interior and
the black seats had red piping.  The dilapidated originals are in my
garage for anyone's inspection.

However, my car also had a black under bonnet.  Is this another anomaly,
Mr. Chrysler?

Bill Barnett
So Cal
'53 BN1 #663