The Engine Died

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Engine Died
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:13:06 -0500
I have been playing with the alternator trying to get the pulleys lined up
properly so there is no bad noises from the fan belt. The engine started
promptly and ran smoothly. I cut it on and off several times as I made
adjustments to the alternator position. The last time I started the engine
it ran for 10 sec. and died. Just as though I had turned off the key.

I have learned from previous posts that the BW wire from the battery switch
can cause this result so I disconnected it from the coil. No joy. It does
not read to G either.

I printed out the Ignition Test from the shop manual and started down the
list. I am good until I get to the step to check voltage from G to the SW
side of the coil. My coil is a Lucus but it has + and - marks instead of SW
and CB. Anyway I get 11.5v between + and G. Not 12.5 that I get elsewhere.
The next step looks for voltage between CB and ground. I get .5v between "-"
and G. I think this means my coil has suddenly gone bad.

If the coil were good, would I get 12v from both terminals and G?

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN