RE: The Engine Died

To: "'Ned Smith'" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: RE: The Engine Died
From: "Don " <don@anglesey.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 12:52:15 -0700
Ned,
You can test the coil by using an Ohm meter.  Connect the ohmmeter to
the primary studs of the coil. Turn the meter to the 0-2M ohm scale for
the primary winding and check reading then remove either one of the
meter leads from the primary stud and connect it to the coil wire lead.
Reset your ohmmeter to the 2M-20M ohm scale and test the secondary
winding for its reading.  If the primary or secondary winding readings
do not fall within the range indicated in the service manual or coil
manufacture, replace the coil.  A bad condenser on the distributor will
also cause the coil to look foul if using a Mallory unit.

  Lucas Sports Coil                     Primary 3.0 Ohm Secondary 8.8K
Ohm

CB= contact breaker
SW= switch

Don