Re: Oil All Over the Floor

To: smithn00@kitepilot.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil All Over the Floor
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:12:38 EST
In a message dated 3/9/2006 3:04:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
smithn00@kitepilot.net writes:
Is there a trick to this process? Should I have used a different seal or
multiple seals?
Ned--

Perhaps you used one seal too small?  It is also possible to dislodge it when
tightening on the cannister.  FWIW your sump holds 8 quarts and I would not
worry about having done any damage beyond creating a mess.  Try again, this
time seeing if you can use a larger-sized seal.

I changed over to a spin-on several years back for all the usual reasons but
was ultimately prompted by a similar event.  It is very easy to get the seal
cocked sideways, etc. in the groove while working upside down and though
removing the whole assembly and doing it on the bench is easier it still makes
for a
messy job.

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans