Oil All Over the Floor

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil All Over the Floor
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:01:05 -0500
I have just changed the oil and filter in my BJ8 for the first time. I have
the later Tecalemit  filter and used a replacement Crosland paper element.
The element came with three square rubber ring seals of the same diameter
but with different widths. I chose the one that most resembled the old seal.
I removed the whole assembly from the block per Mr. Knock's method so I was
able to put the canister back on the base at the work bench. It all looked
good and tight to me so I bolted it back on the block and started the
engine.

Before I could turn off the engine, it had pumped a quart of oil onto the
floor. I took the filter assembly out again expecting to see a place where
the seal had blown past the canister. Not so. I still looks tight but isn't.

Is there a trick to this process? Should I have used a different seal or
multiple seals?

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

Ned Smith

BJ8