Petrol/gas tank

To: Healey webforum <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Petrol/gas tank
From: "Ph.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:49:42 +0200
Friends,
I bought a new aluminum/aluminium gas/petrol tank for my BJ8. The old
steel one had 7 holes, so I threw it away ages ago. Now that I start
rebuilding my BJ8 I see that according to the manuals I should put a
strip of some unknown material around the rectangular opening in my
trunk, apparently to keep splash water out .
My problem is that at the forward side the distance between tank and
trunk bottom is in the range of 3/4 inch - at the rear it is less, say
1/4 inch.
Are these large dimensions normal or should I suspect the dimensions,
especially the radius, of the tank, and are there tricks to close the
gap? I myself are thinking of covering both tank edges and trunk bottom
with very thin plastic wrapping foil, and fill the opening with PUR
foam, wait till it has hardened, then cut to decent shape and mount the
lot with some elastic sealing compound. Any more sophisticated solutions?
Thanks in advance
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432