Re: Dayton or Dunlop?

To: Pieter and Linda Scheenhouwer <pieterscheen@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: Dayton or Dunlop?
From: bn1@pacbell.net
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 06:10:29 -0800
Pieter and Linda Scheenhouwer wrote:

>Hello All,
>
> I am looking at buying a new set of chrome 72 spoke wire wheels for my BJ7.
>What is the lists opinion on Dayton verses the Dunlop type sold by the
>English parts suppliers. Do Dunlops need adjusting before or shortly after
>first fitting. The Dunlops are considerably cheaper to buy but is it false
>economy?

Hi Pieter,

I bought 6" Dayton tubeless 72's with SS spokes and chrome rims and hubs
from BWW.   On them I mounted Dunlop SP 4000, 205/65 R15's.  They were
static balanced by hand by Mal Doherty.  I was amazed at how little
weight was required:  1 @ 1/4 oz., 2 @ 1/2 oz. and 1 @ a trimmed 3/4
oz.  That's very little weight considering the size of both the wheels
and tires.  Obviously truing is not necessary as it would defeat the
tubeless seal.

I have put 5,500 miles on them and they are by far the best set I've
ever had in 32 years of Healeying.  They are "take your hands off the
steering wheel" smooth as silk at all speeds, and I've had the car over
100 mph more than once   :-)   As long as that combination is available,
I will never buy anything else.

Bill Barnett
Santa Ana, CA
'53 BN1 w/ '54 M kit