Bad Sound

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad Sound
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:57:22 -0400
I took the Healey out yesterday and put fifty Interstate miles at near 70
mph. Seemed to be running fine. Oil pressure starts at 60 and goes down to
42 at operating temp. Water temp is under 190. Today I went to town and
stopped at a few places. When I started the car at my last stop, a loud
ticking (knock?) quickly developed and I turned off the engine.

Called a wrecker and brought the car home. I took the valve cover off
thinking maybe a valve adjusting screw had come off (I adjusted the valves
last week). No visible problems. I started the engine and heard the knock
and observed oil coming out of the rocker arms. Some were spurting but most
were oozing. Turned off the engine. The sound seems to be coming from the
very front of the engine.

I removed the spark plugs and spun the engine. No knock was heard.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.98 W85.5