Re: Bad Sound

To: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: Re: Bad Sound
From: bspidell@comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:23:53 +0000
Ned,

Check if you've blown an exhaust manifold to downpipe gasket.  This
can happen suddenly and can make a sound like a loud tappet or even
something in the gearbox.  You'll only hear it with the engine running.

You may or may not see carbon buildup around the leak.  If it sounds
like it's coming from that general area, you'll have to get the car on
jackstands--good ones, please--start the engine, and stick your hand
up there to see if you can feel the gas pulses (CAREFUL: HOT).   There
is probably a better way to check, but I can't think of it offhand.

bs

From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>