Re: Stiff steering

To: Mark and Kathy <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>,
Subject: Re: Stiff steering
From: Paul Baker <paulbaker52@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:03:30 +0100 (BST)
Thought you guys might like to know the cause of the stiff steering.  Took out
the steering box and column and expected to find debris or some form of
disaster when the steering box was opened.

  Not so. Drained the oil, found there was minimal wear in the worm gear or the
peg but otherwise it was fine.  So took a closer look at the steering column
which had been modified before I bought the car with two sets of u/j's to make
it collapsible.  One of the brass bushes had all but seized with rust as it had
no form of lubrication.  This area was cleaned up and oiled and put back with
an oilway so that it can be regularly lubricated.  The box was filled with
Penrite's steering box lube and was refitted.  The peg needed a little
adjustment to get it right but the result is fantastic - the steering is now
light with very little play.

  Paul

  2 x BJ8's

Mark and Kathy <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net> wrote:
  Hi Paul,
Try replacing the oil in your box with STP. That has been a well
known tip on the list and is very easily acquired. It will not leak as
readily as 90W. Also the idler box needs the same oil. Heat it a bit so
it flows into the filler holes smoothly.

I just rebuilt both boxes and installed the STP to avoid any problems
down the road.

Mark