Nasty Sound Solved!(?)

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nasty Sound Solved!(?)
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 02:52:24 -0500
I have written from time to time about the very nasty sound my car has been
making between shift on hard accelaration and under harder braking.

Coming from the engine compartment, I thought it might be fan hitting
radiator, generator fan hitting generator, timing chain, and lastly even
pulled the pan (something I wanted to do anyway to check bottom end
condition, which is actually not bad.

Anyhoo, started thinking about it, you know act first think later, and
thought, hey doesn't the starter pinion actually slide forward to engage the
ring gear? Wouldn't that make a bad sound if it was doing that, and it would
be under deacceleration.

So I pulled the starter, something else I had never done on the car.  Sure
enough the lightweight spring that pushes the pinion gear back was sort of
messed up and infact stuck "shut" or not pushing the gear as it should.

Luckily a duff starter resides in my basement, a new (used) spring was found
and I think we are back in business.

Road test to follow, but by george I think I got it.

Late and tired, but a good kind of tired.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1