Re: Nasty Sound Solved!(?)

To: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nasty Sound Solved!(?)
From: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:14:57 -0700
> Greg wrote:

    "Luckily a duff starter resides in my basement, a new (used) spring was
found
 and I think we are back in business".

Greg,  I would suggest that you be careful when installing the new spring to
check the threads on the nut at the end of the shaft.  My starter just broke
this weekend and when I took it off the engine I discovered that the cotter
pin locking the nut was sheered off and the nut itself had been literally
been hammered off the end of the shaft.  All the threads on the nut were
left in the threads on the shaft.  It looks like the constant hammering of
the big spring and gear drive against that nut over 45 years finally
succeeded in driving the nut off the shaft.  It didn't appear to have
unscrewed;  just came straight off.  At least it happened in my garage and I
was able to get all the parts out of the bell housing..
Ron
BN7