Re: Valve Cover Leak

To: Terry Blubaugh <tblubaugh@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: Valve Cover Leak
From: PETER DAVIS <paddymck@peoplepc.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:53:06 -0400 (EDT)
Terry,

First make sure the base of the alloy cover is flat by checking it against the
head with no gasket.  The polished alloy cover I got from Mo** had significant
twist along it's length.  If it does, then work it out by machining or filing
and rubbing over emery cloth on a known flat surface.  We are assuming the head
does not have any damage that is going to create a leak path.  Check the cork
gasket actually matches the outline of the alloy cover because they are not
necessarily the same as the original pressed steel covers.  If not, get a roll
of cork gasket material from your local car parts store, trace around the cover
and cut it to fit.  Attach to the cover with a thin layer of silicon caulking
type sealant that sets up.  Let it cure while standing on the gasket and placed
on a known flat surface like a counter top or glass topped table.

If the cork and the head are dry and cleaned with alcohol, you should be able
to get a reliable seal that is removable and re-usable by just cleaning and
drying the contact surfaces each time.  It's worked on my BN2 finned cover for
some years including several sessions of rocker changes and adjustments.

best of luck

Peter Davis