RE: coil

To: Austin-Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: coil
From: Jonathan and Carole Quandt <fourqz@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:44:22 -0700
John, I am going to go through this rather confusing coil deal on list
so if I am wrong someone will step in and say so cause it is somewhat
inscrutable .I am Presuming that your car is hooked up  positive ground
  and the wire to the distributor goes to ground through the
distributor. The problem is that no one really makes positive ground
coils anymore so the negative terminal representing the ground side
should be hooked up to the distributor. Some one suggested that if you
remove a spark plug wire and hold a lead pencil between the plug tip
and the wire the spark should flare towards the plug not the wire if
the coil is hooked up properly. This seems a much more elegant and
simple way to check coil polarity than a meter but I am just an elegant
simpleton so what do I know . If any one has an explanation that does
not require a lot of techno babble (apologies to any large brains on
this list) please correct me.