OverDrive

To: "Autstin Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: OverDrive
From: "Gale Hess" <ghess4@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:06:49 -0700
I have fixed my problem of staying in overdrive and random shifting into an
out of OD without electrical drive.  I first want to thank those who took the
time to respond to my question.    The symptoms were varied. Sometimes any
very careful attempt to back up resulted in resistance like something blocking
a wheel.  Then sometimes backing attempts resulted in a free wheeling sound
with no movement of the car and no resistance.  I found the small hole in the
operating valve to be clear.  Electrical circuit proved OK.  I found that the
operating shaft, on which the cam that operates the operating valve is
located, was binding sufficiently to prevent the spring tension in the
operating valve from positively returning the ball to the housing seat and
lowering the valve body to let the springs return the clutch to direct drive.
It appeared that the operating cam shaft for the valve would stop in a random
position.  Spraying the area of the distance collar on the shaft with liquid
wrench and WD 40 soon free'd the shaft and the OD worked perfectly again.
G.Hess