Re: Engine code

To: Alan Seigrist Blue 100 <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Engine code
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:35:53 +0100
Alan

I believe that the question was date codes. To the best of my knowledge
this information was not marked up on the engine.

Using our 100 Register we can usually give a good estimate of when the
car to which the engine was fitted left the factory.

Regarding the engine differences a much more reliable way of telling is
whether the distributor had one or two bolt fixing. Then comes the
rocker cover and the height of the rocker shaft above the head. The
starter fixing holes can be misleading because very early hundreds had
the third hole. There was an early Austin Service Journal that
recommended the removal of the outer lug on the back plate because it
could foul the body.

All the best

--
John Harper