Inlet/exhaust manifold joint

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Inlet/exhaust manifold joint
From: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:08:08 +0200
Fitting the inlet and exhaust manifolds to my BJ8 engine to-day I
noticed a gap of about 110 thou between the underside of the inlet- and
the top of the exhaust manifolds. The service parts list shows two
joints to be used there (AEC950) but I'm at a loss as to what the
purpose of these joints should be. If it's to keep the manifolds apart a
couple of simple washers of the right thickness would do the job, or am
I missing something?. Someone has an explanation?
TIA
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432 under reconstruction