Re: Inlet/exhaust manifold joint

To: j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Inlet/exhaust manifold joint
From: GLWilkieAlaska@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:11:50 EDT
In a message dated 7/16/2006 11:08:41 A.M. Alaskan Daylight Time,
j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl writes:

Fitting  the inlet and exhaust manifolds to my BJ8 engine to-day I
noticed a gap of  about 110 thou between the underside of the inlet- and
the top of the  exhaust manifolds. The service parts list shows two
joints to be used  there (AEC950) but I'm at a loss as to what the
purpose of these joints  should be. If it's to keep the manifolds apart a
couple of simple washers  of the right thickness would do the job, or am
I missing something?.  Someone has an explanation?
TIA
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964  BJ8 29432 under reconstruction

Hi Jack,

I refitted my intake and exhaust manifolds to my BJ8 a few months  ago. An
item of interest I encountered in regard to the insulating gaskets  between the
intake and exhaust manifolds, was that the Moss  reproduction insulating
gaskets were much thinner than the originals,  which I had foolishly discarded.
had to "double-up" (use a total of  four instead of two) the insulating gaskets
in order to obtain the required  thickness between the manifolds, so that the
two manifolds sat level  on each other, whilst still mating perfectly to the
head. The point being  that I recommend that you order two or four extra ones,
so you  can shim the distance with the gaskets to get it perfect, so that
when you  tighten the four through-bolts (nicely coated with anti-seize
compound)
you will  not be imposing an unnecessary bending force on the inlet manifold.

Regards,
Graham Wilkie.
HBJ8L / 32382