Re: squealing noise from wheel

To: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>
Subject: Re: squealing noise from wheel
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:27:49 +0800
Eric -

Sounds to me like either your bearings are shot or your castle nut on
the axle is not shimmed properly and is too loose.

Either way you cut it, you need to remove the hub and inspect your
bearings, and then reassemble and repack if all is well.  Be sure the
castle nut is shimmed properly so that the hub doesn't spin loose like
it is doing now.

The noise you are hearing is probably from the disc brake contacting
the calipers or the rear dust plate.  When you step on the brake it
recenters the disc and the squeal goes away.

This is potentially a very costly repair if you don't deal with it
RIGHT NOW!!  Don't drive the car until you fix the squeal.

If that doesn't fix your noise problem, come back to the list, it
could also be that you are missing anti-squeal shims and your caliper
pistons are corroded and sticking on... but that is less likely that
what I've described above.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1