Re: The Engine Started But...

To: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Subject: Re: The Engine Started But...
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:13:15 +0800
Ned -

Try running the engine without the rocker cover on.  You will splash a
little oil (which is easy to clean up, cover up your fenders with newspaper)
but it will be much easier to see if there is a running problem.  You don't
need the valve cover on to run the engine properly.

Once the slapping starts, look to see if any of the rockers are sticking in
place or not moving as much as they should.  If this is the case it will
help you determine if it is a stuck lifter (common problem) or a loose
rocker adjuster or a stuck valve.  That's pretty much the only thing that
will cause a slapping noise.

Good Luck!

Alan

'53 BN1