Re: Plug Wires

To: Mark and Kathy <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Subject: Re: Plug Wires
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:08:55 -0700
Hi Mark,

To put this 9k ohms of plug wire resistance into perspective, the
distributor rotor to cap gap is likely to be around 60k when ionized.
Additionally, the plug gap itself may be somewhere around 160k or more
when ionized & under  compression pressure, & the cap center carbon
around 11k, for 240k total  resistance.

  The resistor plug wires at 9k, represent about 4% maximum increase of
total circuit resistance.  Since the average coil puts out enough
voltage to handle two or three times the 240k resistance, I doubt if
there will be much gain from decreasing the plug wire resistance, unless
there is already something marginal in the ignition system.

If estimated plug current is 50 milliamps. 240k * .050 A = 12 kv to fire
the plug.
With zero resistance plug wires, 231k * .050 A = 11.5 kv to fire the plug.

The numbers I have used are subject to many variables & they should be
taken as an approximation only.

Dave Russell
BN2