RE: Coil

To: <Awgertoo@aol.com>, <efrenken@lctax.de>, <healey.nut@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Coil
From: "Don " <don@anglesey.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:20:11 -0600
Certain coils are designed for specific applications, and the
differences are in the resistance values of the windings within the coil
and the internal design.  I used a MSD Blaster on my Mallory dual point
but had to use a 0.8 Ohm ballast resistor to keep it from overheating.
I ended up changing back to the Lucas sports coil because it performed
better and has the ballast resistor internally.  Most of the electronic
ignition manufactures will list what coil to use and I would follow
their recommendation.  Per Century performance:  "If you do not have a
coil that meets the demands of the engine RPM and the type of ignition
used, you are likely to overheat and damage the coil or lose substantial
engine performance. In extreme cases we have seen coils overheat, boil
over, and catch the vehicle on fire. Do Not be one of these statistics".
Don
57' BN4