Re: Coil

To: don@anglesey.us, efrenken@lctax.de, healey.nut@gmail.com,
Subject: Re: Coil
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:05:36 EDT
Don--

My comment was about a Mallory Unilite system, not a points system.   If you
go to the Mr. Gasket/Mallory/Unilite site
(_http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/Unilite_Wiring.pd)_
(http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/Unilite_Wiring.pd))  you'll  find the
following caveat:

"Before installing the UNILITE. Distributor, make sure that your vehicle is
equipped with an ignition ballast resistor (or loom resistance wire) in the
wire  between the ignition switch and the coil (+) terminal. Check a service
manual  for your vehicle to locate the ignition ballast resistor (or loom
resistance  wire). If your vehicle is not equipped with an ignition ballast
resistor,
 install a Mallory Ignition Ballast Resistor Part No. 700 in the wire between
the  ignition switch and the coil (+) terminal. Failure to use an ignition
ballast  resistor will eventually destroy the UNILITE. Ignition Module."

The idea is to bypass the resistor and provide full voltage on  startup, then
when the switch is released the feed will come through the  resistor and the
voltage will be lowered to something less than nominal  12VDC.

The resistors are only a few bucks whereas the modules are considerably
more.  I'm sure that Mallory would be happy to sell modules rather than
resistors....

Best--Michael Oritt

In a message dated 8/29/2006 12:21:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,