Re: Speedometer

To: "Dan Serrao" <jobu1950@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Speedometer
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:45:40 +0800
Dan -

Don't bother with the angle drive, it's not your problem.

Quite often the cause of a jumpy speedo needle is because the speedo cable
is too long (they can stretch with age).  A stretched speedo cable will put
binding pressure on the magnet wheel and cause it to come in contact with
the needle pick up, causing the needle wobble.  You can check this by
putting a washer or two  (to act as a spacer) on the inside of the cable's
screw cup on the back of the speedo... if the needle wobble gets better when
you do this, then probably getting a slightly shorter speedo cable is the
solution.

The only other cause of a jumpy speedo is when the lubrication is messed up
inside the speedo or the magnet wheel gets out of alignment... in this case
you have to send it in to have it reqbuilt.  If you need to do this the only
place to send it in my opinion is Margaret Lucas of MoMa in New Mexico.
Since your needle is jumping more at higher speeds my guess is your speedo
needs a rebuild.

Alan