RE: Shroud Installation Question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Shroud Installation Question
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:08:19 -0700
Hi, Jerry -
The best primer for aluminum is zinc chromate.  I found some at a boat
supply store, but I have no idea if California allows the stuff ("known by
the State of California, etc., etc.").  Anything that will separate the
aluminum from the steel will prevent galvanic corrosion.  I painted the
steel flange of the fenders with a rust-preventive red oxide primer called
Corroless (I believe the equivalent sold by Eastwood is called Rust
Encapsulator), but any good primer would do if you put on a good coat of it.
On top of that, I used a clear silicone.

Unless the car sits outside in the weather and the joint stays wet
frequently, it isn't likely that it's going to see much galvanic corrosion
anyway.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666