Ammeter wiring

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ammeter wiring
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:27:40 +0100
Hi,

I have acquired a Smith's 30 to 30 ammeter and propose to wire it in to my
NEGATIVE ground MkII BT7.

I have the (excellent) Autocare Manual "Electrical Systems" which suggests
that "it is normally connected between the starter solenoid terminal and the
charging and supply leads secured on the terminal or connected in series
with the lead from the control box (terminal A1 or B) to the solenoid's
battery terminal". Everything that I have read on the list and sometimes
kept for future reference suggests that the latter setup is the one for our
six cylinder cars.

I have references that people have made to the need for heavy gauge wire.
Also to this heavy gauge wire carrying big loads with the potential for
shorts, fry ups and fires.

A question or two..

Is the above the best/neatest way to wire it up?

Just how heavy a gauge wire do I need? (Maybe a description as well as a
technical figure as either I won't understand the technicalities or I'll
find that we use different units over here. Or both!)

What are the "must do" things here?

Any suggestions..dos and don'ts etcetc???

Thanks,

Simon.