RE: Ammeter wiring

To: "'John Trifari'" <jtrifari@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Ammeter wiring
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:16:00 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: John Trifari [mailto:jtrifari@comcast.net]
Sent: 26 October 2006 17:38
To: Simon Lachlan
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

Simon--you must place the ammeter in series with the battery.  The best way
to do this is first disconnect the battery.  Second, disconnect both ends of

the brown wire leading from the starter solenoid to control box terminal A.
Third.  once the ammeter has been installed in the cockpit, run a wire from
the starter solenoid where one end of the brown wire had been connected to
one of the ammeter terminals.  Run a second wire back from the second
terminal to Control box terminal A where the other end brown wire had been
connected originally.

    Reconnect the battery and turn on the ignition.  If you get a discharge
reading on the ammeter you are wired correctly.  If you get a charge on the
ammeter you have the terminals backwards,  Disconnect the battery and switch

the wires attached to the ammeter.

    I use 12-gauge wire covered in shrink tubing for added insulation.
12-gauge is about the size of the original brown wire.  Don't forget
grommets where the wires pass through the firewall.    Finally you can cut
off the ends of the original brown wire if you want.  You will not be needed

it.  BTW  positive or negative ground does not matter.  Hope this helps
John Trifari   Golden Gate Austin Healey Club

Thanks John, that's just what I needed (and hoped) to hear.
Simon.