Re: Pre-oiler

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pre-oiler
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:33:15 -0400
WhoCares56@aol.com wrote:
> Has anyone heard of an electrically operated device that pumps oil  through
> the engine prior to ignition to reduce wear on start up?  I assume  it would
>be
> operated by the car battery and controlled by dash mounted  switch.

Back when Healeys were new, there was a mechanical device, a
spring-loaded cylinder with an electric valve that filled up under
engine oil pressure, and was sealed off when the ignition was off.  When
the ignition was turned back on, it dumped into the engine oil
galleries, then when the engine developed pressure, it refilled.

Pretty slick, and I'm sorry I don't have the foggiest notion who made it
or if you could still find one.
--
JohnM
ex-BJ8