Re: Pre-oiler

To: "Douglas W Flagg" <dwflagg@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: Pre-oiler
From: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:10:58 -0500
Doug,

The Marvel Mystery Oiler had a different purpose.  It was used to inject a
"drip" or two of oil into the supercharger to lubricate the vanes.  It also
provided a little upper cylinder lubricant to the engine.  A similar oiler
was SOP on WWII Jeeps to keep the top of the engine oiled.  It was quite
different than the pressure oilers used on race cars these days which brings
the engine oil pressure up to about 40Lbs prior to starting the engine.
There was a guy a few years ago that found a barn full of WWII vintage upper
cylinder oilers and was selling them on the web.  I had one for a while but
let it go with my Judson.

Mark
Nashville
www.arrestmered.com