Re: Rotor differnces WAS: Rotor, Bosch follow up

To: Martin Heim <bn4@onlinehome.de>
Subject: Re: Rotor differnces WAS: Rotor, Bosch follow up
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:28:34 -0700
Hi Martin,

I can't tell for sure from your pics, but it appears that #3 & #4 may be for
four cylinder
distributors, #1 & #2 for six cylinder distributors.

Although rotor center to tip dimensions vary somewhat from brand to brand, the
six
cylinder rotor usually measures around 1.070" from center to rotor tip. The
four cylinder
measures around .850" from center to tip. Measure this dimension carefully. An
acceptable
gap between rotor tip & the cap contact would be from .010" to .050". Cap
contact radius
dimensions also  vary somewhat between various caps.

A four cylinder (short) rotor in a six cylinder distributor will cause a much
too large
internal spark gap & consequent insulation failure of the rotor.

A six cylinder rotor in a four cylinder distributor will of course cause rotor
distributor cap contact.

Rotor #2 in your pics would be the best design for the six cylinder as it
appears to have
no rivet & is the correct center to tip length.

Regards,
Dave Russell
BN2