Crank and Rods

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank and Rods
From: PG <BJ8mk3@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 13:38:11 -0800
For all you performance buffs out there, perhaps I can get some help.

I am putting together the bottom end of my 2.9 liter engine.the cam, head,
valve train and carburetion are designed for a peak power at about 6,500
rpm.

I am wrestling with how deal with this rpm and the projected HP in the
bottom end..the easy answer is to purchase Crower rods, steel crank etc etc.
However, the rods alone would cost about $2.5k.a little too pricey.

I suspect that the stock crank and rods are strong enough for the occasional
venture into the 6,500 rpm range..perhaps not at this rpm for extended times
(such as on a track) but certainly ok for very fast street.

Has anybody out there ever lightened a stock crank or rods?  How much can be
taken off the rods and where is the best place to remove?   Has anybody had
there crank "wedged" or "knife edged"..how much did you take off?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

67 BJ8