BJ8 Drive Shaft - FYI

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: BJ8 Drive Shaft - FYI
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:22:18 -0500
FYI

When I bought this car it had the usual front end shake at 55-60 MPH. I sent
the wheels to Hendricks and got rid of that. Then I noticed a high frequency
vibration at 68 MPH. It was so bad that you could not see anything in the
dash mirror and the rear end felt "loose." So I sent the brake drums to
Hendricks for balancing and that changed the response but did not eliminate
the vibration. I next looked at the universal joints on the drive shaft.
They appeared to be good since there was no play when you tried to displace
them. I took the shaft out anyway while I was replacing the rear springs
because I wanted U joints with grease fittings. The shop said I needed to
"retube" the shaft. I think that meant that the splines where loose. Anyway
I can now get up to 80 MPH without incident. I haven't tried to go higher.

Thanks for all your help on all my projects,

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.89, W85.47