RE: BJ8 Calipers

To: "'Bob Brown'" <BlkBt7@aol.com>, "'Healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: BJ8 Calipers
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:10:14 -0500
Hi Bob,
It is unlikely that you have an incorrect caliper 16P is correct for all
BJ8s after 26705. The Girling 14 calipers used prior to this had a different
mount bolt spacing.
You most definitely should not use a "C" clamp to insert the pistons. If the
grooves are clean and the seals are installed and lubricated correctly you
will be able to squeeze the pistons in by hand. If you use any sort of
mechanical clamp you will almost certainly damage the seals and they will
leak.
I would guess that the pads don't fit because a piece of the torn seal is
stuck under the piston edge in the bottom of the bore preventing it from
seating correctly.
If air pressure will not remove the pistons you may have to resort to the
old grease gun trick, after which it is absolutely essential that you
THOROUGHLY clean the caliper fluid channels with methyl hydrate and dry with
compressed air.
Sounds as though you have a good days work ahead of you tomorrow!!.

Michael Salter
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/